I have been eagerly awaiting the
arrival of my Hillarys fabric since I signed up to enter Hillarys Craft competition!
Waiting for the postman and sprinting to the door whenever I heard the
Until finally, that day came!
Ooh iv never been so excited
to open a piece of mail before!
For inside the padded, bubble wrapped envelope
lay my beautiful Hatti Raspberry fabric. All 1 meter squared of her!
is thick but lightweight, I know that might not actually sound possible but
apparently it is! The texture is superb, it kind of gently massages your hand
as you run it across your skin with its little in and out bits. Hmmm ok this is
starting to sound a bit more Sex And The City now rather than a craft project!
Ok back on track.
100% cotton, and is layered with beautiful raspberry tone stripes. You can view
the many fabulous fabrics that Hillarys have to offer here.
at last years entries on Hillarys Pinterest board, I had actually thought maybe
I should withdraw my entry! The standard of the pieces that the other entrants
had made astounded me and I felt convinced that I could not compete. At best I might
be able to make a, um… sock? But then my husband told me I had to enter and
that was that. He reminded me of the Hillarys blogger event I attended and how
my little face lit up when I proudly showed off my little bird and book cover
that I had made, and I remembered just how much I had actually enjoyed it. So
much so that I went out and stocked up on a box of all things crafty just in
case the mood struck!
now I began jotting down ideas of things that I could make, I must have had a list
of at least 10-15 different items that I could (attempt to) make.
decided on something that could possibly have multiple uses! Yes it is indeed a
3 in 1 kite!
you’re thinking, right?
a kite, secondly, it is a cutesy wall decoration for my daughters bedroom, and
thirdly it is a toy.
detachable basket hanging from it, in which ‘Hattie Mouse’ can travel in when
she is off on one of her adventures!
made the ‘Hatti Mouse Kite Mobile’ (That’s mobile as in batmobile not mobile as
- Glue gun (or you could sew)
dowels onto the fabric and secured them together with some strong string, then I drew an outline for my kite ensuring that I left
enough room around the edge so that the excess fabric could be wrapped over and secured down.
kite shape. It was actually quite scary making that first cut! I kept thinking
if it get this wrong its all ruined! Thankfully though it was all okay.
lace edging which originally I had planned on using as a border on the kite,
but after a lot of rearranging I decided it looked best cut and laid across the
kite to compliment the stripes on the fabric. Using my favourite crafting tool,
my glue gun I got to work gluing the lace on and cutting the excess material off.
online for vintage and retro kites I realised that you cant have a kite with no
ribbons! So I found some blue ribbon, felt flowers and some other bits and
attached them to the bottom point of my kite.
bit, attaching the rope so the kite can actually fly! Here’s hoping!
glue gun I then secured some pink and white bows onto the rope.
basket I used:
- A child’s bowl
- Hillarys Fabric
- Glue gun
This bit was a
little more tricky as trying to wrap the fabric so that it sits neatly around
the bowl was quite difficult, I could have done with another set of arms
really. I then cut out a large oval piece of fabric to go inside the basket and
glued it all together. I then attached the ribbon and buttons onto the side of
the basket. I also added a little hook into the back of the kite doweling so
the basket could be hung onto it.
- Hillarys Fabric
- Needle and thread (or sewing machine)
- A pompom for the nose
- Felt or cardboard for the ears
- String for the tail
- Toy filling
- Glue gun
I created a little
apron for Hatti out of the lace and some nice dark green ribbon
the shape of Hatti should be ‘r’ shaped allowing her to be able to stand up in
her basket I also gave her some little arms too so she can hang on tight if the
weather gets a bit windy! Cutting the arms out was easy but trying to fill them with stuffing and keep it closed so I could sew it up was quite difficult giving her arms are teeny tiny, but I think you’ll agree they look much better 3D!
outline and doubled the fabric over, pinned it and cut out the shape. I then
sewed the two sides together leaving a small gap at the side so that I could
stuff the toy filling in. Once sewed and stuffed I glued on a little pom pom
nose, some ears and drew on her eyes.
look finished so I added the detail of the little apron and found a nice bright
green string for Hatti’s tail.
do then is piece it all together and see the finished result!