For the purpose of this review we were sent the Learning Resources Coding Critters Ranger and Zip playset. All thoughts and opinions our my own.
Introducing Learning Resources Coding Critters Ranger and Zip. Your first coding friends! Little ones can help the Coding Critters on their storybook adventures, as you code them to play fetch, hide and seek, and more in their fun pet playset! You can even design your own challenges!
We were sent the Learning Resources Coding Critters Ranger and Zip playset. This set is aimed at children aged 4 – 10 years old. It retails for a recommended price of £40. The Coding Critters playset helps little ones grasp STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) concepts through 100% screen-free coding.
- Introduces basic coding
- Children code along with their new pets’ storybook adventure, and help the brave Ranger and mischievous Zip have a playtime they’ll never forget
- Each storybook code challenge unfolds in the Coding Critters’ fun pet playset – can you use programming to code Ranger to play hide & seek, fetch a ball from the tennis ball launcher, or catch Zip after a ride down the slide?
- In addition to following along with the storybook’s coding challenges, you can also use the pet playset to design your own code games and more!
There are 3 varieties to choose from; Rumble & Bumble (dinosaurs), Scamper & Sneaker (Cats) and of course Ranger & Zip (Dogs).
What’s in the box
- Full Colour Storybook
- 10 Coding Paw Prints
- 3 Cardboard playset decorations
- Playset for coding games including ball, see-saw, house & slide
- Multilingual quick start guide
- Ranger coding critter (7cm x 10.2cm)
- Zip (dog)
To operate Ranger he requires 3 AAA batteries (not included).
How to use
In Code mode press the direction arrows on the Coding Critter’s back to begin inputting a coding sequence of up to 30 steps. one step is approximately 10.2cm.
Use your paw print cards to plan your moves. line them up where you want Ranger to go and then input the steps using the arrow buttons, then press the centre button to watch Ranger follow your instructions.
In play mode, press and hold Rangers nose to activate. In play mode you can feed, pet and take care of your puppy. You can even watch Ranger bust some cool dance moves and sing a silly song!
The Learning Resources Coding Critters Playset kept my children occupied and entertained for a good while. They enjoyed coding Ranger to go through the house, chase the ball and even Zip!
It really is so simple for children to use and encourages imagination, concentration and planning.